Wow it’s been a while since I’ve posted, I’ve had a busy term at work. But now Autumn is in full swing, and I’ve been absolutely loving the change in the season. I normally hate the cold and the dark, but I’ve been trying to embrace each season for it’s own beauty, so here are some things I’ve been doing to welcome in Autumn.
1. Drinking hot Apple and Cinnamon Tea. No drink smells as Autumnal as apple and cinnamon.
2. Harvesting. Whether it’s walking along an English hedgerow and harvesting the blackberries, or digging up veg from the garden or allotment, nothing is more heartening than cooking with something fresh out of the earth. Somehow it tastes so much better.
3. Eating porridge – I’ve never been that much of a fan of porridge, I find it rather claggy. But I recently tried putting blackberries into it to make ‘purple porridge’ and ohmygoodness, it’s so good. Add pumpkin seeds, blueberries, chia seeds and maple syrup for extra sweetness, goodness and crunch.
4. Welcoming in the darker evenings by stringing up fairy lights, and lighting candles. Make a little Autumnal display and change up some of the cushions for a cosier Autumnal feel. Try adding warmer tones, and cosier textures, it’s amazing how a change as small as cushions and throws can change the feel of a room.
5. Reading. I’m not much of a reader, and in Summer I always feel like I ought to be outside, not reading. But in Autumn and Winter, it’s often too cold or wet to be out, the perfect time to re-kindle you’re love of books.
What traditions/rituals/routines do you have for welcoming Autumn?